Hobby Update: The Empire

 

Hey folks, welcome back to my blog for another hobby update. This blog will feature my newly painted flagellants, the most painful tar pit unit available to the noble empire of man.


Flagellant miniatures, the 6th edition ones anyway, are in my opinion some of the best sculpts to come out of Games Workshop's Warhammer Fantasy Battles miniatures line. These minis really capture the grim dark setting, unlike the later plastic kit (which instead features hulking, muscular body builders).

After some Facebook Marketplace dealings, I was able to accumulate enough flagellants from the distant land of Poland. Flagellants are limited to one unit per army (for 6th edition anyway), so at maximum I would need thirty miniatures for a full regiment. However, through the strange vagaries of fate, I ended up with thirty-one flagellants. Naturally, this extra flagellant was converted to a Prophet of Doom (the unit champion). This was accomplished with a little swapperoo using a spare staff capital from the wizard kit.



I ran out of bases for my flagellants, so I decided to make my own in Blender. While modeling, I decided to upgrade the base designs to include a well for magnets; nothing beats magnetized minis!



Once the minis were cleaned up, it was time to paint. I decided to divide the unit into four groups, then airbrush each a different base color. This would add variety to the hodge-podge unit and save me time painting robes.


After many, many rounds of picking out details, washing, highlighting, and weathering, the unit is done! I couldn't be happier with how they turned out and can't wait to ruin some elite unit's day on the field.
















Thanks for reading,
Nick



Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I first paint the base a brown color, then glue sand directly on top. Once the sand has dried, I use
      -Earth Undercoat C1229
      -Vallejo Cork Brown 70.843 drybrush
      -Vallejo Green Grey 70.971 drybrush

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hobby Update: Sea Inlets and Chasms

SAGA Age of Magic: The Great Kingdoms vs The Horde

Warhammer Fantasy Battles 6th Edition: Empire vs Brettonia 2