Hobby Update: The Great Kingdoms and Masters of the Underearth

Hello, everyone!

In the last few days, I focused on finishing up my Great Kingdoms Warlord mounted on flying beast. After completing him, my Great Kingdoms army is effectively "done," barring potentially adding a sorcerer and mounted warriors (I'm not sold on the combat effectiveness or need for either, to be honest). Regardless, those are minis for another update!


I'm particularly proud of how this guy turned out. I don't consider myself a sculptor and rarely have I attempted to sculpt so much myself, rather than using pre-existing bits (to see the sculpted parts isolated, take a look at this previous blog).

For the coloration, I looked to nature for inspiration. Seeing as the Teutonic knights's heraldry uses a black eagle as its charge, I figured I would use them as reference for the aquiline portion of my griffin.

Image result for teutonic knight heraldry
Heraldry of the Teutonic Order


Image result for black eagle germany

 Related image
Actual black eagles




For the hind portions of the griffin, I wanted do keep the overall palette dark, but felt straight black might be too monotonous. Instead, I used spotted black leopards as reference: their rosettes add a little bit of exoticism to the creature and break up the coat.

Image result for black leopard
Actual spotted black leopard



 Once I completed my Warlord, I decided it was time to start another! This time, I focused my attention on the previously praised Tjublings from Admiralty Miniatures. I took inspiration for my color scheme from the classic Games Workshop Chaos Dwarfs, naturally.




These guys were super fun to paint- I have a ton more sitting on my desk patiently awaiting similar love. For the banner, I at first tried to print out a classic banner scanned from the Chaos Dwarfs army book, but found the quality unacceptable. Instead, I painted it free hand! This thing is roughly 2 x 2 cm for scale.


As always, more to come soon! Thanks for reading.

-Nick

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hobby Update: Sea Inlets and Chasms

SAGA Age of Magic: The Great Kingdoms vs The Horde

Warhammer Fantasy Battles 6th Edition: Empire vs Brettonia 2